July 28, 2007

It's getting hot in here...

No wait, it's not getting hot. It is HOT!

I'm not sure what the temperature was today, but tomorrow it supposed to be 107. Today we went to the Balad which is the downtown area of the city where you can buy a lot stuff for cheap (for example: I bought season 2 and 3 of Lost plus a movie for 11 JD or about $15). Anyway it was really really hot walking around down there. I had planned to go eat with the rest of the group but it was just too hot and they were going to do more shopping afterwards and I just didn't want to be in that heat. So to escape the heat B and I joined up with our husbands in the nice air conditioned van and managed to find ourselves in a few air conditioned buildings like KFC and Safeway. JM and I considered going to Starbucks just to be able to sit in the air conditioning this evening, because our apartment is HOT, but we're going to brave it and watch a movie here. Anyway, thinking about missing air conditioning made me think of other things that are going to be really nice to have when we get home.....

real milk
the freedom of my own car that has air conditioning! ( a lot time the taxi drivers don't use their air)
time to cook a meal rather than eat fast food
not having to turn on the hot water 30 minutes before you want to use it ( but now that it's so hot, we take cold showers to cool down!)
seeing our families
not having to catch a taxi
having lines you actually wait in when you are paying for something or ordering at a fast food place ( this is probably my only pet peeve of this culture. They are impatient when it comes to waiting in lines! You could be waiting to order for 5 minutes and some person will just walk up in front of you.)

flushing the toilet paper (rather than throwing it in the trash, for some reason you can't flush it here)
no water restrictions

taking showers in the mornings because I won't have to be fresh to go out at night

No comments: