March 1, 2007

boys need girls

Yesterday, our class schedule was rearranged so that our students could walk over to the science fair at TSTC. So I had my two regular Algebra 1 classes combined. Normally I have one class of all boys (5) and then a class of 3 girls and 1 boy. Well the last time we had to combine the classes it was awful!! One, I'm not use to having that many students at a time (and I know what you're thinking 9 students in a class, that must be wonderful! but it's been over a year since I had more than 5 kids in a class). And two the kids weren't use to that in my class either. So anyway when I find out that I'm going to have this combined class, I get a little worried and I planned!

I sat out their work with their name on it at the spot I wanted them to sit at, so this gave me a chance to separate those who feed off each other. And it was great! I think having the girls mixed in, helped the boys stay more focus and want to be involved. So I'm thinking after this class that today is going to breeze. I can review them for their test tomorrow and they'll do great. Nope! I was wrong!

I get the boys back by themselves this morning. We start the review and they're like what are you saying?!?!?! Something we covered on Tuesday was as if they had never seen it before. Which leaves me very discouraged and thinking I have just wasted two weeks!!

So I have decided, that I never want to teach a class of all boys again! At least with this group of boys all together. They do so much better with the girls in there. And I know there are studies about this, but this is my conclusion today. Boys need girls. :)

ps. or maybe I'll just teach at an all girls school, that would be nice.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why are your classes so small? Do you teach special ed?

gaby